Are you trying to make big changes in your life but you don’t have the luxury of stoping everything else that you’re doing while you make the change? Join the club! Whether you’re working in the 9-5 and trying to study in your spare time, or whether your setting up a side hustle or just searching and applying for new hobs to change your career I’ve got some tips that will really help you make the most of the time you do have. These things have really helped me to start a business whilst working full time. Hands up if you think routines are boring? Do you think of routines as just for kids? Were you desperate to leave yours behind when you went off to uni? Ditto. In fact I went a bit too far with letting the routine go and didn’t make it to very many lectures in my first year! I bet lots of you can say the same! Its taken me years to realise that trying not to have a routine because ‘routines are boring’ has actually been having a detrimental effect on me! I’ve found that I’ve taken a lot longer to get stuff done because I didn’t have plan of what I needed to do! Nailing that routine down Now I’m not saying you have to plan out every hour of your life – far from it!! I just have a morning routine that I follow before work and a nighttime routine that I do before bed. I’ve also carved out an hour each evening to work on my business. Simple right? Do you have a morning routine? Or do you just get up with enough time to get dressed and leave the house? My morning routine takes just 30 minutes and I do this as soon as I get up, before I have breakfast.
- I meditate for 10 minutes (HeadSpace is a great app for this)
- I do a guided visualisation for 10 minutes (I do one for success)
- I do my affirmations for a few minutes (I have these saved to a photo album on my phone)
- Spend around 10 minutes writing in my journal (or longer if needed – just until I feel I’ve gotten everything ‘out’)
- Read until I’m ready to go to sleep. I choose to read a non-business/educational book at night so that my mind can switch off and relax. The last thing I want to do is read a book thats going to get my mind racing just as I want to go to sleep!