1. Self Care isn’t selfish. Taking time for yourself is essential, it should be considered one of your basic human needs, yet so many of us just don’t place that significance on it. Taking ‘me time’, ‘time for myself’, ‘chill time’, ‘pamper time’ or whatever you call it is critical to our mental and physical health. If we regularly make time for ourselves then we are happier and are more likely to have healthier relationships with those around us
2. Create your own escape. Make time each day (it can be just 5 minutes) to escape. Whether this is in a book, a quiet place, the garden or a local park, walking the dog, meditating, exercising or listening to your favourite music…the opportunities are endless. Use this time to calm all of the thoughts that are whizzing round and round in your head and switch off. You’ll feel refreshed, rejuvenated and relaxed.
3. Meditation is massive – just 10 minutes of meditation each day can make a huge difference to your mind-set. We can all find 10 minutes in our day to try this can’t we? Meditation will teach you how to gain control of your thoughts and to understand them better. It will enable you to quieten them down and make some space in your head. There are so many App’s that can help you get started!
4. There is no such thing as a selfless good deed (as Phoebe in Friends proved), however… doing random acts of kindness not only makes someone else happy, it makes you happy too, and there’s nothing wrong with that!
5. We all have time for self care. No matter what our schedules are like we all have time we can use for us. Just us. If you look closely at your routine, you may see that often we make ourselves busy with things that aren’t important. How often do you find yourself aimlessly scanning social media feeds or flicking through the TV channels?
6. Gratitude is crucial. Knowing what we already have is so important. Take time to write down three things that you are grateful for every day. It helps us stay grounded in the present, feeling happy for what we already have, rather than living in the past or the future.
7. Journaling can work magic. Writing a journal everyday can make a huge difference to your happiness. Its an amazing way to get all of those chaotic thoughts out of your head and onto paper. Once they’re written down they are ‘safe’, and you can stop thinking about them because don’t have to worry about forgetting them.
8. Be social media savvy. Social media has huge benefits, but too much exposure to it can leave us feeling inadequate, fed-up with our lives and unhappier. Try a social media free day and see how you feel.
9. Inspiration is everywhere. Positive quotes and affirmations can make such a positive impact on our happiness. When something inspires you, take time to write it down. I love to save positive affirmations and quotes to a photo album in my phone so that I can look at them every day. To learn how to do this grab my free 10 day self care challenge here: http://eepurl.com/cRbiSr
10. Fear is how we become fearless. We don’t become fearless by hiding from what scares us and sitting in our comfort zone. We become fearless by facing our fears. Do something every day that scares you, no matter how small and see your confidence soar!
If you want some self care ideas then grab your free copy of my 10 day self care challenge here.